6 Yoga Exercises to Sneak in at Work
Whether you set New Year's resolutions or not, the start of a new year can spark you to reflect on a lot of different aspects of your life.
Resolutions can be daunting... eating well, exercising regularly, starting a new hobby for an entire year. The whole point of a resolution is to create better habits, resulting in a better lifestyle for yourself. Creating habits that stick require you to be passionate about what you're doing, imagining the end result, and starting slowly, making the habit doable.
- Sit near the edge of your chair and interlace your fingers behind you, palms together and facing your back.
- Lean forward slightly, lifting your arms so that you feel the stretch in your chest.
- Inhale slowly, lifting your chest.
- Exhale and relax your shoulders away from your ears.
- Hold for 10 to 15 breaths.
- Slowly release your hands and return them to your sides.
- Extend the arms to the sides or overhead and draw 5 to 10 circles inward and outward through the wrists.
- Stretch each arm out and bend the wrist inward then outward, counterstretching with your other hand.
- Hold each side 5 to 10 breaths.
- Sit up in a comfortable chair and place your hands on your hips.
- Inhale and lift up the center of your chest. It should feel like the lift originates from your middle upper back between your shoulder blades.
- Exhale and draw your belly button into your body and gently tuck your chin to your chest. Feel your upper back dome slightly.
- Repeat at least five times or more.
4. NECK STRETCH
- Sit upright without letting your back touch the back of the chair, as if there is a string lifting the crown of your head up.
- Drop your right ear toward your right shoulder without lifting your right shoulder or turning your head. Take several breaths in and out, feeling the stretch on the left side of your neck.
- To create a deeper stretch, reach your right hand over your head and place it on the left side of your face. Hold the pose for at least five more breaths and then release your hand and straighten your neck, gently massaging your neck and shoulders with your left hand.
- Repeat on your left side.
- Sit near the edge of the chair, but turn your thighs toward the right side of the chair so that you are sitting diagonally. If you have an armrest on the side of your chair, bring your thighs as close to it as possible.
- Move your arm to the back of the chair on the opposite side, taking hold of the chair back with your right hand. With your left hand, take hold of your right knee or armrest.
- Breathe deeply, focusing on lengthening your spine.
- Twist to the right, pressing your right hand against the back of the chair to deepen the stretch. Focus on drawing your shoulder blades down.
- Breathe deeply, completely filling and emptying your lungs. Hold the pose for 10 to 15 breaths.
- Return to the center.
- Repeat on your left side.
6. TWISTED ARMS
- Sit up straight. Bend your elbows and lift them straight in front of you, to shoulder height
- Take your right arm underneath your left arm and wrap it around your left arm. Connect your palms or the back of your hands together. Alternatively, press your arms together from elbow to palm.
- Move your elbows forward slightly and let the tops of your shoulders drop away from ears. You should feel a stretch in your shoulders, upper arms and back.
- Switch sides.
Take some time out of your busy workday for yourself and try out these poses! If you feel less tense after, try to schedule a 8-10 minute chunk of time to knock out all the poses to help stick to this stress-relieving habit.