8 Ways to Lower Your Heating Bill this Winter
The average US family spends about $1,900 a year on home utility bills, and heating & cooling is typically the largest portion of it!
With these negatives temps we're getting in Indiana, a cup of hot tea and a blanket won't keep you warm all night! If this is you in your house everyday... something needs to change.
- Be sure registers are clear. Maybe the sofa is covering a register near a wall. Pull the sofa a few inches forward. Check kids rooms (all of us parents know how messy they can be!). Be sure registers are clear of the stuff kids toss on the floor.
- Lock windows. Did you know 25 percent of your heat loss is due to drafty windows and doors? During the summer those windows are great to open and feel a gentle breeze. Double check you locked them when you shut them last. No one wants a draft to creep through the cracks.
- Programmable thermostat. They’re little but they can help you to save big. While you’re at work, program the thermostat to a cool temp. Then have the temp rise just before you get home. You can save as much as 10 percent a year.
- Use the sun. During the summer, we suggest homeowners close the drapes and blinds to keep the room cool. During the winter, do the opposite. On a sunny day let those rays in and they’ll warm up the house.
- Dress for the weather. Instead of cranking the heat, put on a sweater and slippers. Curl up on the couch under a blanket.
- Use ceiling fans. Yep—even in the winter those ceiling fans can be a benefit. Heat rises. If you have those really cool vaulted ceilings that means your heat is going up, up, up. A ceiling fan will bring in back down.
- Insulate. The roof and attic account for 25 percent of heat loss, while the exterior walls account for some 35 percent of heat loss. Make sure your home is well insulated so you and your family stay warm and cozy.
- Keep your furnace clean and tuned up. Check your furnace filter each month to be sure it’s not too dirty. Be sure to keep the ol’ gal tuned up. She works hard to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Get a tune up twice a year. There’s nothing worse than a break down on a cold winter day.
Before your HVAC breaks down in these negative temps and you actually do look like that GIF up top...
Schedule a tune up with Howald Heating, Air Conditioning and Plumbing—family-owned and operated.
Photo Credit: Svetl / Thinkstock