Poison Control Doc: Garfield Park Kids Shouldn't Feel Long-Term Effects
(WIBC.com file photo: Mike Corbin)
A poison control doctor says those exposed to the chemical mixture that made dozens sick at the Garfield Park swimming pool Thursday probably won't suffer any long term effects.
Listen: Dr. James Mowry with 93 WIBC's Ed Wenck
Dr. James Mowry, director of the Indiana Poison Control Center at Methodist Hospital, says swimmers were probably exposed to small amounts of chlorine gas after a mistake was made in the mixture of chlorine and another cleaning chemical. Mowry says no one at the pool was exposed enough to cause a lot of harm, as evidenced by the fact that most of the victims were released from hospitals quickly.
Mowry also says there should be no comparison to the chlorine gas used as a weapon during World War One, which caused numerous injuries and deaths because they contained high concentrations of chlorine.