House Fire Kills 16 Dogs
( Indianapolis Firefighter Deb Farrington-Photo courtesy of Tod Parker)
Indianapolis fire investigators say a working smoke detector is credited with saving the lives of a family of 4 when a fire broke out Wednesday morning. However, 16 dogs including 13 puppies died from smoke inhalation. One dog was revived with an oxygen mask, firefighters said.
Crews were called to the 1200 block of West 35 th Street about 1 a.m. on reports of a structure fire. The fire was brought under control within 15 minutes.
Investigators said the fire likely sparked in the laundry room of the home after a woman put some clothes in the dryer before going to bed.