Indiana News

Mother, Children Escape Early Morning Apartment Fire

1/1/2013


(photo courtesy IFD)

A mother and her two young kids escaped a house fire early Tuesday morning.

24-year old Latice Jackson told firefighters she fell asleep while heating grease on the stove in Hearts Landing Apartments at 9425 Meadowlark Drive. The grease caught fire and spread throughout the apartment.

Jackson says she was celebrating New Year's at her sister's home before she was dropped off at home with her 2-year old and a 4-month old. Jackson admitted she had "plenty of alcohol" to drink at her sister's home which may have led to her drowsiness. Fire officials say Jackson was disoriented and told firefighters as many as 8 kids were in the apartment, but she regained clarity and remembered she was in her home, and not at her sisters'.

Jackson was able to drop her kids from the second floor to awaiting firefighters and she climbed out a window to safety. All three were taken to Community North Hospital for observation. A firefighter suffered a slight injury to a hand during the rescue.

Firefighters say the apartment had no working smoke detectors. Damage is estimated at $150,000.

·
Like

Copyright by WIBC.com © 2012. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


WIBC News Traffic Hotline

If you see a news story or traffic tie-up, let us know!

Call:  317.637.6397

Email:  news@wibc.com

Send photos:   pictures@wibc.com

Search WIBC.com

Garrison Chicks Abdul At Large Abdul At Large