Indiana News

Police Release More Information on Columbus Murder


Ryan Klug (photo courtesy RTV6)

Investigators are releasing additional information about the death of a young Columbus woman.

A probable cause affidavit filed Wednesday in Bartholomew Circuit Court alleges that 36-year-old Ryan Allen Klug knowingly or intentionally killed his roommate, 26-year-old Adaobi Obih.

According to the affidavit, Columbus Police Detective Mike Ward responded Tuesday afternoon to a call at River Stone Apartments, on the city's west side, about a woman found dead in her apartment at 3461 Limestone Lane. Obih, who was employed at Cummins, had unexpectedly missed work on Monday and Tuesday. Obih's boyfriend had also called Columbus Police to request a welfare check on her after he was not able to get in touch with her.

Apartment complex staff went to the apartment shared by Obih and Klug and made entry with a skeleton key. The report says that the staff member made his way down the hall and peered in a room on the left side. He reportedly spotted a a black female lying face-up on the floor with a large amount of blood on her head. The witness told police that the victim was "clearly deceased."  The staff then called 911.

When emergency personal arrived, responding officers conducted a brief survey of the scene. They determined that Obih's death was suspicious. Officers left the apartment, secured it and requested a search warrant.

Detectives spoke with Obih's boyfriend, who indicated that she was with him at his apartment in Eastlake Woods from Friday evening to early Sunday afternoon, save for a short time Saturday morning when Obih left to get some groceries. The boyfriend told investigators that the two mad missed church services Sunday morning, so they made plans to attend a 6 p.m. service in Greenwood. He had planned to pick her up from her apartment at 5 p.m.

The boyfriend provided investigators with his cell phone which shows a him sending a text message to Obih, and getting a response, at 12:17 p.m. He sent her another text message at 4:38 p.m. that went unanswered. The boyfriend went to church services by himself and sent Obih another text message at 8:36 p.m. That also went unanswered. A short time later, he went to Obih's apartment and knocked on the door, but no one answered. The affidavit reveals that records from the boyfriend's cell phone showed he made seven calls between 9:15 p.m. and 10:36 p.m. At 10:36 p.m., he also sent another text message indicating he was at Obih's front door, but he got no response. The boyfriends calls and text continued Monday until he reported her missing to police.

Investigators spoke with a neighbor of Obih, who related that around 4 p.m. Sunday, he heard noises coming from the apartment. He said it sounded like someone was moving heavy furniture around. The neighbor indicated that he heard the noises for about three minutes, just before the weather sirens went off due to the impending weather.

Investigators received information from Klug's wireless phone carrier that indicated that he was in the vicinity of the apartment he shared with Obih when Klug received a phone call from his pastor at 3:57 p.m. The pastor told investigators that he had received a text message from Klug that morning asking him to call him. The pastor says that when Klug answered his call, he told him that he was unable to talk at that time.

Police were able to execute a search warrant on Obih's apartment just before 6 p.m. Tuesday. Detectives indicate that Obih's body had multiple knife wounds, including her throat being cut. A broken knife handle and blade, belonging to Obih, was found in the room where her body was found. Detectives also located a blood trail from the body, which they believe led to Klug's bedroom. They also said it appears that the assailant tried to clean up in Klug's bathroom, including taking a shower. Police found blood-soaked clothes in Klug's bedroom, including a pair of jeans that were identical to a pair clean jeans that were stored in Klug's room. Investigators also found a garage door opener in Klug's room.

Detectives went out of the apartment and observed a trail of blood from the apartment to an open garage that apartment staff said was rented by Obih specifically for Klug's use. Investigators also found blood on an interior door handle to the garage, as well as an apartment key they believe belonged to Obih. Klug's grey 2008 Subaru Legacy was not in the garage.

Investigators later interviews Klug's supervisor at the Indiana Dept. of Transportation (INDOT), where he was employed. His supervisor told authorities that Klug had been acting strangely during the week prior to Obih's death. Just before 5 p.m. Sunday, the supervisor told investigators that Klug had texted her saying that he would be on vacation for the next two weeks. The supervisor said that was highly irregular of Klug and violated company policy. Attempts by the company to reach Klug went unanswered and he failed to show up for work Monday and Tuesday.

The affidavit also mentions that investigators contacted Klug's relatives. According to those interviews, Klug had recently gone through a bankruptcy and was having financial problems. He was also having problems with a former girlfriend.

Authorities continue to search for Klug. While police believe he left the area days ago, they believe he may come back. Anyone that sees him should contact police immediately. You should not approach him.


Copyright by © 2012. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WIBC News Traffic Hotline

If you see a news story or traffic tie-up, let us know!

Call:  317.637.6397


Send photos:


Garrison Chicks Abdul At Large Abdul At Large