State Rededicates Two Historical Markers at Statehouse
Plaque commemorating Civil War arsenal had been gathering dust in basement
Park Tudor eighth-graders (and triplets) Sydney, Riley and Madison Allen display the repainted historical markers. (WIBC.com photo: Eric Berman)
Two state historical markers at the statehouse are again ready for their close-up.
The Indiana Historical Bureau rededicated the two plaques after students at a Park Tudor summer day camp cleaned and repainted them, under the bureau's "Adopt a Marker" program.
The marker commemorating the move of the state capital from Corydon to Indianapolis was originally installed in 1946, 58 years after completion of the second statehouse built on the Market Street site. It was the first marker cast in the current format, with gold lettering on a blue background and the outline of the state of Indiana at the top.
The second marker was installed next to the statehouse during the Civil War centennial in 1964, commemorating the state arsenal established there by Gov. Oliver Morton to supply Indiana's troops in the war. The arsenal was later moved to where Arsenal Tech High School is now.
The marker had been languishing in the Historical Bureau basement before the touchup.
About 500 of the roadside markers have been dedicated around Indiana.