Alleged 'Grundy Crew' Leader, Richard Grundy III, Walks Free After Years-Long Investigation
INDIANAPOLIS – Another chapter in the infamous “Grundy Crew” saga came to a close on Thursday when a judge handed down a sentence for Richard Grundy III, the alleged ringleader of the group.
Grundy received time served and two years of non-reporting probation after he plead guilty to one count of dealing marijuana, the lowest of nearly a dozen charges against him.
“It was fair,” said Grundy. “It was the fairest thing I could get.”
Grundy said now that this part of his life is over, he’s decided it’s best for him and his family to leave town. He said he wants to go to the west coast where he will take some classes and maybe get his CDL. He said he wants to do something that allows him to spend more time with his family.
“I want to live a normal life. I want to live where I don’t have to look over my shoulders or be harassed every time I get pulled over by a police officer. Or I’m being harassed for just being me,” said Grundy.
The sentencing marks the end of a case that has been ongoing since October 2015, when police announced they had dismantled the alleged “Grundy Crew” gang. In all, 11 people faced more than 110 charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, gang activity, drug dealing and corrupt business influence.
Grundy said he accepted the plea because he felt he wouldn’t have received a fair trial because of who he was – and he was ready to end this chapter of his life so he could move on.
“I lost so much in the process I don’t feel like I won a lot,” said Grundy. “I can’t call that a victory.”
Ten of the 11 co-defendants in the case have now reached plea deals. The case against the remaining defendant, Eric Butler, was granted a continuance last week.
Butler's next scheduled court appearance is set for Nov. 29.
(Photo by RTV6.)