Advertisement

Local News

News > Local News > Alzheimer's Research Goal: A Workable Test by 2025

Alzheimer's Research Goal: A Workable Test by 2025

(WIBC.com photo: Eric Berman)

It's the only disease among the 10 leading causes of death for which there is no known treatment. But Indiana University Alzheimer's researchers say we're getting closer.

The Indiana Alzheimer Disease Center is celebrating its 25th birthday this year. Director Andrew Saykin says research has established all those things your mom told you to do to take care of yourself do in fact reduce the risk of Alzheimer's: exercise, sufficient sleep, eating healthy foods, and keeping your weight down.

Researchers have also identified a gene which increases the risk of Alzheimer's, though Saykin cautions it's only present in 3% of the cases. The other 97% have a genetic link too, but a more complicated one, involving gene combos drawn from 25 different genes.

Saykin predicts the eventual solution will involve a cocktail of different drugs and behaviors -- and might vary from person to person, depending on genetic makeup. 

National researchers have set a goal of developing a test for Alzheimer's by 2025.

MADISON COUNTY, Ind- -A crash in Madison County proves to be deadly. A woman from Markelville died on Saturday...
FRANKLIN COUNTY, Ind- -A small plane crash in rural Franklin county, north of Batesville killed 3 people and even...
MARION, Ind --Two explosions ignited a fire at the former RCA manufacturing plant in Marion Saturday night on...
EVANSVILLE, Ind. --George Wilcox, Jr., was 19 when he was killed on Dec. 7, 1941, the day that will live in infamy...
KOKOMO, Ind. --A Kokomo man has been charged with molesting a five-year-old girl at a house where he was staying...