Advertisement

Local News

News > Local News > Jasper Mailman Credited With Saving Woman From Fire

Jasper Mailman Credited With Saving Woman From Fire

Postal worker Shane Nicholson was doing what he does every day -- delivering mail -- when he saw smoke billowing from a house on his route.

JASPER, Ind. -- A postman from southern Indiana did more than just deliver the mail on Tuesday morning: he saved a woman's life.

Shane Nicholson was delivering mail when he spotted smoke coming from a house on Birk Drive, Jasper fire officials told WEVV-TV.

Nicholson abandoned his rounds and helped the woman out of the burning house. 

Jasper firefighters saved a dog and a cat from the home.

The Jasper Fire Chief told WEVV that the woman was severely burned and is being at a Louisville hospital. No one else was injured in the fire.

Fire investigators said Tuesday that the blaze began when the woman attempted to light a cigarette and ended up setting her recliner and coffee table on fire.

(Photo by Jessica Rinaldi/The Boston Globe via Getty.)

SPEEDWAY, Ind. --Safety is one of the priorities for people attending the 102nd running of the Indy 500, just as...
INDIANAPOLIS -- A Brownsburg man has agreed to plead guilty to attempting to aid a terrorist organization over his...
INDIANAPOLIS -- The parents of a 2-month-old girl have been arrested, more than seven months after the child's...
What's keeping people named Smith out of the Indianapolis 500? Is a 48-year-old hex to blame for all the bad luck...
MUNCIE, Ind. --The cancellation of the Singapore Summit may actually be a healthy development for both the U.S...