Advertisement

Local News

News > Local News > Trial Of First Richmond Hill Bombing Suspect To Be In South Bend

Trial Of First Richmond Hill Bombing Suspect To Be In South Bend

Mark Leonard's trial moved to St. Joseph County due to publicity

The first suspect to go on trial for the bombing of a home that killed a couple next door will be tried in South Bend rather than Indianapolis.

Marion Superior Court Judge Sheila Carlisle ordered the trial of Mark Leonard to be moved to St. Joseph County due to heavy publicity surrounding the case.  Leonard will be the first of three suspects to stand trial for what prosecutors say was the intentional bombing of a home in the Richmond Hill neighborhood on the southside of Indianapolis in November 2012.  The blast destroyed the home next door, kiling Dion and Jennifer Longworth.

Prosecutors contend the explosion was staged by Leonard and his girlfriend, Monserrate Shirley along with Leonard's brother, Bob Leonard in order to collect insurance money.  They are each charged with murder, arson and conspiracy.  The suspects will be tried separately, and the other suspects have also asked for their trials to be moved out of Indianapolis.  

A trial date for Mark Leonard has not been set.

@WIBCRaySteele


Description: 

The first trial in the Richmond Hill bombing case will not take place in Indianapolis.

INDIANAPOLIS --The capital city has had 100 murders this year. That's 10 fewer than this time last year, said...
PRINCETON, Ind.- -Toyota celebrated 20 years in Indiana Wednesday, and Gov. Eric Holcomb bought the five millionth...
INDIANAPOLIS -- A student was struck while crossing the street on IUPUI’s campus Wednesday – just two days after...
INDIANAPOLIS – The 9-year-old boy who was allegedly kidnapped Wednesday afternoon is found safe. Police said the 9...
INDIANAPOLIS -- More than 300 Indianapolis Public School teachers will have to reapply for their jobs at one of...