President's Visit = Traffic
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
When I contact the Secret Service about traffic details of motorcades and dignitary visits - for road and ramp closures - they very politely and professionally tell me to sit on it and spin.
I get it. Safety first.
However, IMPD has offered a couple of insights on what's shutting down when President Trump and Vice President Pence visit the NRA Annual Meeting at Indiana Convention Center in downtown Indianapolis, and God bless them for doing so. Let's walk through it:
- President Trump and Vice President Pence will speak at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum, which runs from 11am to 4pm.
- The WIBC Newsroom (best in the world) has been told that media should gather at the Convention Center no later than 8am, and that President Trump will be one of the first speakers.
Thursday afternoon, IMPD released the following traffic restrictions for I-70 entering and exiting downtown:
- From the airport, eastbound I-70 will likely close at I-465 from 10:00am until 11:30am. Traffic will be diverted to I-465, either direction.
- From downtown, drivers will not be able to enter westbound I-70 from the south split from 11:30am until 2:00pm, and will be diverted to southbound I-65 (to Greenwood). If you're heading for the airport from downtown, be prepared to take the long way around. The ramps to the airport on northbound and southbound I-465 to westbound I-70 will be open.
- Expect delays and closures throughout the downtown area until 6:30pm.
As far as street closings, they're isolated to the southern portion of downtown (this, of course, can change).
- It's been reported that South St. - from Capitol Ave. to Missouri St. - will close at 5:00am until President Trump splits.
- Missouri St. (northbound one-way) will shutdown from I-70 to South St.
- McCarty St. will close from Capitol Ave. to Missouri St.
If that's not enough, south siders better read this. We've been talking about the northbound I-65 closure all week. It's best to take it seriously.
Please understand that all this is a fluid situation, and things can change at the drop of a dime.
Have a great time this weekend, and most importantly, stay safe.
Matt Bair is the new voice of Indianapolis traffic, and can be followed on Twitter @WIBCTraffic. Tips? Call direct at (317) 684-8134 or the 93 WIBC Newsroom at (317) 637-6397.