Runners are running with joy after the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) cancelled all weekend road work on northbound I-65 from Southport Rd. to the north split. Lane closures were scheduled to begin Thursday night, with wholesale sections closing starting Friday at 9am.
The rain and thunder gods told INDOT to give it a week and try again, and the interstate closures have been postponed until next weekend. I’ll have details after INDOT gives a definite thumbs up on what we’re doing.
However, we still have big time traffic interruptions for the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, and downtown street closures will beging at 6pm Friday night. Here’s a look at the map:
The rest of the street closures in Indy proper and Speedway begin Saturday morning at 7am. Here’s a look at the map:
The street closures are as follows:
- Washington St. from West St. to N. White River Pkwy Dr.
- N. White River Pkwy Dr. from Washington St. to 10th St.
- W. Michigan St. from N. White River Pkwy Dr. to Holt Rd.
- Holt Rd. from W. Michigan St. to 10th St.
- Olin Ave. from 10th St. to 16th St.
- 10th St. from N. White River Pkwy Dr. to Main St. (Speedway).
- Main St. from 10th St. to 16th St/Crawfordsville Rd. Roundabout.
- 16th St/Crawfordsville Rd. Roundabout to Polco St.
- New York St. from N. White River Pkwy Dr. to Military Park
The streets will reopen one hour after the last runner crosses the finish line.
Matt Bair is the new voice of Indianapolis traffic, and can be followed on Twitter @WIBCTraffic. Tips? Call direct at (317) 684-8134 or the 93 WIBC Newsroom at (317) 637-6397.