Cardinal Pell Back in Prison While Judges Consider Appeal In Sex Abuse Case

Advertisement

International

News > International > Cardinal Pell Back in Prison While Judges Consider Appeal In Sex Abuse Case

Cardinal Pell Back in Prison While Judges Consider Appeal In Sex Abuse Case

Pell was found guilty of sexually assaulting five choirboys in the 1990's

MELBOURNE, Australia. -- Cardinal George Pell will remain behind bars while an Australian appeals court considers whether to overturn his conviction on five charges of sexually assaulting two choirboys in the 1990s.

A two-day hearing in Melbourne's Supreme Court building ended Thursday with no date given as to when the panel of three judges will deliver their ruling, which could result in Pell's conviction being quashed.

A jury unanimously found Pell, 77, guilty of all charges after a secret five-week trial last year, and in March he was sentenced to six years in prison, with a non-parole period of three years and eight months.

On Thursday, prosecutor Christopher Boyce QC presented the crown's argument that it was possible for Pell to commit the crime in the manner, time and place described by the choirboy or complainant, who is now aged in his 30s.

It followed a day of testimony Wednesday from Pell's barrister, Bret Walker SC, who presented 13 reasons why there should have been reasonable doubt in the minds of jurors when they returned the five guilty verdicts.

Pell sat to the side of the court, dressed in black with his clerical collar, taking notes on the day's proceedings, which commentator David Marr described as a "trainwreck."

"The crown's barrister, again and again, was simply lost for words," said Marr, author of The Prince: Faith, Abuse and George Pell, who was in court for the two-day hearing.

"That was not an impressive performance, but mind you, we couldn't see the documents, we couldn't see what was being quizzed backwards and forwards between the bench and the bar table. We couldn't tell whether that barrister was actually landing it in the end, but we could see that it was agony getting there -- and why?"

Boyce's arguments were broadcast via a livestream on the Supreme Court website, which at one stage was muted when he accidentally revealed the name of the complainant. Under Australian law, victims of child abuse cannot be named.

"It was a very stressful and agitating day," said a survivor of child sex abuse who goes by the name of Michael Advocate.

"We're being infuriated by Pell's arrogance in the clothes that he was wearing because he's a criminal, we've got incompetent counsel who are naming the victim, which everyone knows is a criminal offense, no wonder it's a disastrous day for us."

The second choirboy involved died a few years ago from an accidental heroin overdose without ever speaking about the attack.

Boyce began Thursday's proceedings by telling the panel of three judges that "the complainant was a very compelling witness." In its written submission, the crown said his ability to recall the layout and wood paneling in the priests' sacristy where the attack took place spoke to his "truthfulness and reliability."

In court, Boyce pointed to conflicting evidence given by the complainant and witness Monsignor Charles Portelli, who testified that he always accompanied Pell during and after the mass, so wouldn't have been left alone to commit the crime. Boyce suggested the jury came to its verdict of guilty beyond reasonable doubt because they accepted the complainant's testimony was more believable than Portelli's.

Pell's defense
In his response, Pell's barrister, Walker, said Portelli's evidence was sound, given he was being asked to recollect the events of 22 years ago, as was everyone involved in what have been a difficult case.

In its submission, Pell's legal team elaborated on 13 "solid obstacles" that it said stood in the way of a guilty verdict. They included that it was not possible for Pell have to been alone in the priest's sacristy, for no-one to have noticed the choirboys were missing, and for the attack not to have been seen or heard by anyone milling around outside the room.

Walker suggested the jury discounted evidence from Portelli and other witnesses about the regimented nature of the occasion, and claimed that Pell, being new to the position of Archbishop, had made a point of meeting congregants outside the Cathedral's western entrance after mass.

"If he was at the western door during that time, then the law of physics tells us this is literally, logically impossible, for the offending to have occurred," Walker told the panel of three senior appeal judges.

(PHOTO/Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

International
SANTO DOMINGO -- The manhunt continues for suspects involved in the shooting of former Boston Red Sox slugger...
International
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand. -- The man accused of shooting worshippers at two New Zealand mosques in March has...