Advertisement

International

News > International > Iran Leader Announces Partial Withdrawal From Nuclear Deal

Iran Leader Announces Partial Withdrawal From Nuclear Deal

President Hassan Rouhani said Wednesday that Iran would reduce its "commitments" to the deal, but would not fully withdraw.

TEHRAN, Iran -- A partial withdraw from a landmark nuclear deal  is what Iran is considering. The deal was signed with six other nations in 2015.

President Hassan Rouhani said in a televised speech Wednesday that Iran would reduce its "commitments" to the deal, but would not fully withdraw.

The move comes a year after the US unilaterally withdrew from the deal, over the stringent objections of other signatories. Rouhani said those signatories -- France, Britain, Germany, Russia and China -- had been informed in advance of Tehran's move.

He accused "hardliners" in the US of working to undermine the deal, saying it was "in the interests of the region and the world, but not the enemies of Iran, therefore they spared no effort since 2015 to undermine (the deal)."

Under the agreement, Iran was permitted to stockpile limited amounts enriched uranium and heavy water produced in that process, exporting any excess. Doing so has become extremely difficult after the US revoked waivers that allowed Iran to export those excess stockpiles, effectively forcing Iran to halt enrichment or ignore the limits, which it is now doing.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran declares that at the current stage, it does not any more see itself committed to respecting the limitations on keeping enriched uranium and heavy water reserves," Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) said in a statement carried by the semi-official Fars news agency.

The SNSC said other partners would have 60 days to alleviate pressure on Iran caused by subsequent US sanctions, otherwise the country "will cease implementation of restrictions on uranium enrichment levels and measures related to the modernization of Arak Heavy Water Reactor as well."

"Once our demands are met, we will resume implementation of the ceased undertakings. Otherwise, the Islamic Republic of Iran will stop compliance with its other undertakings in consequent phases," the SNSC said.

Last year, President Trump withdrew the U.S. from the deal, saying it was "defective at its core" and re-imposing sanctions. Since then, his administration, particularly Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser John Bolton, have been ramping up pressure on Tehran.

This week, Pompeo made a surprise visit to Iran's neighbor Iraq, where he accused Tehran of making military moves, including transporting short-and medium-range ballistic missiles aboard boats in the Persian Gulf.

This week the US deployed a carrier group to the Persian Gulf, which is being called a regularly scheduled deployment.

(PHOTO: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

International
LONDON -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has announced her resignation, finally bowing to intense political...
International
GABORONE, Botswana. -- Botswana has scrapped its ban on hunting, citing an increase in conflicts between elephants...