Man Who Shared New Zealand Mosque Shooting Video Online Jailed For 21 Months

Advertisement

International

News > International > Man Who Shared New Zealand Mosque Shooting Video Online Jailed For 21 Months

Man Who Shared New Zealand Mosque Shooting Video Online Jailed For 21 Months

Philip Arps was convicted of "distributing objectionable material" for sharing a video of the mosque shooting with about 30 people.

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand. -- A New Zealand man has been jailed for almost two years for sharing a video of the Christchurch mosque shootings that killed 51 people.

Philip Neville Arps, 44, was sentenced in Christchurch District Court on Tuesday to 21 months in prison after pleading guilty to two charges of distributing objectionable material, his lawyer Anselm Williams confirmed.

Arps sent copies of the footage -- which was streamed live on March 15 by the mosque shooter -- to about 30 people soon after attacks on worshippers inside two Christchurch mosques.

Shortly after the attack, New Zealand's Office of Film and Literature classified the video as objectionable, making it an offense to possess, share or host it. Under New Zealand law, distributing objectionable material to another person carries a possible prison sentence of up to 14 years.

During sentencing on Tuesday, Judge Stephen O'Driscoll said that when Arps was asked for his opinion on the video, he described it as "awesome," RNZ reported.

"Your offending glorifies and encourages the mass murder carried out under the pretext of religious and racial hatred," Judge O'Driscoll said, according to the RNZ report. "It is clear from all the material before me that you have strong and unrepentant views towards the Muslim community."

Williams said that his client Arps filed an appeal Tuesday against his sentence, arguing that it is "too stern." A date to hear the appeal has not yet been set.

Arps owns an insulation company named Beneficial Insulation, which uses a Nazi logo that was also featured in an online document published by the alleged Christchurch shooter.

Brenton Tarrant, the 28-year-old accused of carrying out the March 15 attacks, is expected to stand trial next year after pleading not guilty earlier this month to 51 counts of murder, 40 charges of attempted murder, and one charge under the Terrorism Suppression Act, the first time such a charge has been laid inside the country.

An 18-year-old and a 16-year-old have also been charged over distributing the live steam of the Christchurch videos, according to Williams, who is also representing the teens.

(PHOTO: Sanka Vidanagama/Getty Images)

International
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia. -- Cambodia has become the latest Asian country to reject shipments of waste sent to its...
International
NEW YORK -- Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was sentenced Wednesday to life in prison plus 30 years...