Fernando Alonso to Retire From Formula One; Stays Silent On IndyCar
SURREY, England -- He skipped the Formula One Monaco Grand Prix in 2017 to run the Indianapolis 500. Now, Fernando Alosno has decided to say goodbye to the series where he won 32 races, 22 poles, and two world championships.
Alonso, 37, announced his retirement from F1 in a video posted to his Twitter this morning.
Dear F1 ..... pic.twitter.com/G9ZzdMwgMn
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) August 14, 2018
"I can only be grateful to you and to the people that are part of you that have introduced me to some many cultures, languages, traditions, wonderful people," Alonso said to fans in the video.
"Every time I close the visor of my helmet, I feel your warm embrace, your energy. There is nothing like it. But today, I have some other bigger challenges."
Alonso did not go into detail as to what those "challenges" are. Many are speculating that McLaren Technology Group, his current team in Formula 1, might field a full-time team to run the 2019 IndyCar Series season, with Alonso to be the driver. So far, nothing has been confirmed.
“He thinks [IndyCar] is great racing," McLaren CEO Zak Brown said earlier this year. "He loves the Indy 500. So, I think he very much enjoyed that experience. He’s a racer. He likes to race."
Brown added that Alonso is "intrigued" by the "Triple Crown of Auto Racing", which includes winning the Monaco Grand Prix, the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and the Indianapolis 500.
Alonso has two of those three jewels; the Indy 500 is the only one alluding him. Alonso and co-drivers Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi won Le Mans in June.
(PHOTO: Mark Thompson/Getty Images)