IFD: Fatal East Side Fire Caused by Grease
INDIANAPOLIS -- Investigators say a house fire on the east side of Indianapolis that killed a woman and a dog on Wednesday morning was an accident.
It happened at a home on Kildare Avenue around 6:15 a.m., near Emerson Ave. and 21st Street.
Indianapolis Fire Dept. Battalion Chief Rita Reith says the fire started in the kitchen, from unattended grease on the stove. Reith said numerous calls to 911 from neighbors all reported hearing "a loud boom" or an "explosion." IFD says the loud boom came from oxygen tanks that were in the house.
Gloria Lawson, 65, and a dog were killed in the fire. Two other dogs were able to escape.