Advertisement

Local News

News > Local News > IFD: House Fire Started By Five-Year-Old Boy Playing With Lighter

IFD: House Fire Started By Five-Year-Old Boy Playing With Lighter

Firefighters say the boy may have set a couch inside the home on fire causing about $30,000 damage.

Photo Credit: Battalion Chief Rita Reith / Indianapolis Fire Department

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Investigators say a house fire on the city’s near southwest side may have been caused by a five-year-old boy playing with a lighter.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 2200 block of Howard Street, not far from S. Belmont Avenue after 11 a.m. Sunday.  Investigators say the child handed his foster mother a lighter and told her that a couch on the second floor was on fire.  The woman was able to get out of the home safely with the boy and two other children.

Firefighters were able to put out the fire, but smoke and water damage caused about $30,000 damage to the home. 

 

93.1 WIBC'S C.J. MILLER REPORTING.

Twitter: @CJMillerWIBC

 

Local News
INDIANAPOLIS -- Don't want to get salmonella? Don't kiss or cuddle your pet chicken, says the Centers for Disease...
Local News
INDIANAPOLIS --Indycar driver Kyle Kaiser of Juncos Racing crashed his car during practice last Friday, but came...