At Least 31 People Sickened After Eating at West Lafayette Pub
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Some of the meals served up last month at a West Lafayette restaurant came with an unwanted secret ingredient: norovirus.
The Tippecanoe County Health Department says at least 31 people got sick after eating at Walt's Pub and Grill in mid-December.
The health department confirmed Tuesday that norovirus was discovered in stool samples taken from some of the customers.
Norovirus is a highly contagious gastrointestinal virus transmitted through contaminated food or water. It is often found in crowded areas such as schools, cruise ships and nursing homes.
The health department doesn't believe the situation at Walt's was caused by a foodborne illness and says norovirus could have been brought into the restaurant in "a number of ways".
The pub's owner told WLFI-TV in West Lafayette that his restaurant is in 100 percent compliance with the Health Department and is still open for business.
(Photo by Brian A. Jackson/Thinkstock.)