Advertisement

Local News

News > Local News > At Least 31 People Sickened After Eating at West Lafayette Pub

At Least 31 People Sickened After Eating at West Lafayette Pub

The Tippecanoe Co. Health Department says norovirus is to blame.

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Some of the meals served up last month at a West Lafayette restaurant came with an unwanted secret ingredient: norovirus.

The Tippecanoe County Health Department says at least 31 people got sick after eating at Walt's Pub and Grill in mid-December. 

The health department confirmed Tuesday that norovirus was discovered in stool samples taken from some of the customers.

Norovirus is a highly contagious gastrointestinal virus transmitted through contaminated food or water. It is often found in crowded areas such as schools, cruise ships and nursing homes.

The health department doesn't believe the situation at Walt's was caused by a foodborne illness and says norovirus could have been brought into the restaurant in "a number of ways".

The pub's owner told WLFI-TV in West Lafayette that his restaurant is in 100 percent compliance with the Health Department and is still open for business.

(Photo by Brian A. Jackson/Thinkstock.)

 

INDIANAPOLIS -- One Indiana lawmaker wants to create options for students who just don't want do to wield scalpels...
WASHINGTON -- After 203 years of statehood, Indiana has its first National Park. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore...