Little Girl Bitten By Copperhead Snake At Brown County State Park
NASHVILLE, Ind. -- A 7-year-old girl is recovering after being bitten by a copperhead snake Saturday at Brown County State Park.
According to the DNR, the girl was playing with other kids at her campsite when she ran to the edge of the woods. That’s where the DNR believes she was when she was bit.
After she complained of a bite around her ankle, the girl’s father went back to the area and saw a snake.
The girl was taken to Riley Hospital in Indianapolis and doctors say she will make a full recovery.
DNR employees tried to catch the snake but it escaped.
According to the DNR, the incident has similarities to other instances of copperhead bites: It was after dark, and the person who was bit was in a poorly lit area and not using a flashlight.
Copperhead venom is among the least toxic of snake venoms in North America, but it can kill you if you don't act quickly treat a copperhead bite.
(PHOTO: Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images)