Pence Calls Nancy Pelosi "Disappointing" For Rejecting Trump's Plan To End Shutdown
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Vice President Mike Pence says he finds it "disappointing" that Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi rejected an offer made by President Trump to end the partial government shutdown which has been ongoing for more than a month.
The President on Saturday says his plan would be to build the border wall, a deployment of 230 miles of steel barrier in strategic places this year at a cost of $5.7 billion. Trump also asked for mearly $2 billion for new border agents and judges to reduce the case load from immigration cases. He also wanted an extension of DACA protections for three years, as a compromise, which translates into three more years of protections for DACA recipients from deportation. In addition, the President said he wants weekly meetings with both Democrats and Republicans to solve immigration issues.
However, Speaker Pelosi said on Twitter before the announcement that the plan was made up of proposals that were "unacceptable" and had been previously rejected.
In an interview with "Fox News Sunday", Vice President Pence said that the President "offered a good-faith compromise to address what is a genuine humanitarian and security crisis at the southern border and end the government shutdown."
"It was disappointing to see Speaker Pelosi reject the offer [from President Trump] before he gave his speech. The President is offering a solution and what we have from Democrat leadership so far is just soundbites and the American people want us to work together to resolve these issues," says Vice President Pence.
The partial government shutdown, which started on Dec. 22, 2018, is on Day 30 and is the longest government shutdown in American history.
Photo: Getty Images / Paul Morigi