Students Return to West Vigo Classrooms After Mold Scare
WEST TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Students have returned to three elementary school classrooms that were temporarily closed due to mold.
West Vigo Elementary School was evacuated Nov. 14 after students complained of eye irritation and cough. Air quality tests showed that mold was the cause of the eye and respiratory issues, reports WTWO.
The three classrooms that tested above acceptable levels were blocked off until they could be remediated during Thanksgiving break, according to the Vigo Co. School Corporation.
"Our efforts to remediate the mold over the Thanksgiving Break were successful," Bill Riley, Vigo County School Corporation director of communications said. "The affected rooms had the carpet replaced with vinyl composite tile, were repainted, all ceiling tiles were replaced, hard surfaces were scrubbed, ductwork was cleaned, air handler unit filters were changed, and we ran commercial air scrubbers last week."
Riley said air quality in the three classrooms was tested again Monday. The tests showed the mold had been remediated, reports WTWO, and students were allowed to return to the classrooms.
(Photo by BananaStock/Thinkstock.)