Philadelphia Shooter Taken Into Custody, Officers Released From Hospital



News > National > Philadelphia Shooter Taken Into Custody, Officers Released From Hospital

Philadelphia Shooter Taken Into Custody, Officers Released From Hospital

The suspect was arrested after an hours-long standoff with police that left six officers injured on Wednesday night.

PHILADELPHIA -- A man who opened fire on officers attempting to serve a warrant in North Philadelphia was taken into custody early Thursday after an hours-long standoff that left six officers wounded. Two officers and three other people who had been trapped inside the row house were evacuated by a SWAT team a few hours before the standoff ended.

Here's what we know:

How it started

The shooting began when authorities attempted to serve a warrant at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Nicetown-Tiago neighborhood, in the 3700 block of North 15th Street, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross Jr. told reporters during a news briefing Wednesday night.

"This was a narcotics warrant that went awry almost immediately," Ross said.

Officers became trapped in different parts of the house when the shooting began, Ross said, adding that's how two officers and three others got trapped in the house.

The standoff lasted nearly eight hours.

All five were evacuated by SWAT officers after nightfall, Ross said.

The suspect

Authorities have not identified the suspect, saying only that he's male.

The gunman continued firing intermittently at police -- sometimes shooting out a window -- for several hours during the standoff, Ross said.

Before the standoff ended, negotiators had been trying to communicate with the shooter, but he was only picking up the phone without answering, Ross said at one news conference.

After hours of ignoring efforts by police to communicate, the man's attorney and Ross got on a call with him to try to assure him police were not going to harm him.

"We're optimistic that means that he's starting to understand that there's some benefit of him coming out and surrendering," Ross said.

The man was taken into custody around midnight, tweeted Sgt. Eric Gripp, a spokesman for the department's public affairs office.

The wounded officers

Six police officers were shot during the incident, the police commissioner said.

A bullet grazed one officer's head, Ross said. None of the officers, who were not immediately identified, had life-threatening injuries. All six officers who were shot have been released from area hospitals, Gripp said on Twitter. He also said one other officer sustained injuries in a vehicle crash related to the incident.

Mayor Jim Kenney said he spoke with the wounded officers.

"I had the opportunity to speak to the six officers, they're all in good spirits and obviously it was a very traumatic experience for them," he said. "I was talking to one of the officers who had the graze wound to the head and he had two little boys -- they looked like they were 9 or 10 years old, 8 or 9 years old -- and kept on thinking about how their lives would have changed with just a little more difference in space."

(Photo courtesy of CNN)

Recommended Articles