Toxic Blue-Green Algae is Killing Dogs
INDIANAPOLIS -- Toxic algae is killing dogs.
Three dogs recently died after swimming in a pond in North Carolina, while another dog died after coming in contact with the algae bloom in Georgia.
The culprit is blue-green algae (cyanobacteria), a toxic microscopic bacteria found in freshwater lakes, streams, and ponds. The algae caused liver failure, which led to death.
The algae can look like blue or green foam, scum, or paint floating on the water. Because the algae float, they may also be blown into concentrated mats on the shore, where they can be easily picked up by pets or people.
Symptoms of blue algae poisoning in pets include:
- Blood in stool or black, tarry stool
- Pale Mucous Membranes
Symptoms can start in 15 minutes or a matter of days and can be fatal.
Blue-green algae blooms can also be harmful to humans. Contact with toxic blooms can cause stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin rash.
(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)