Conor Daly Lands Ride With Andretti Autosport For Indianapolis 500
INDIANAPOLIS -- IndyCar journeyman driver Conor Daly will have a ride and a shot to make the field of 33 for the Indianapolis 500 this year.
On Wednesday, Andretti Autopsort confirmed that Daly will drive the team's fifth entry for the big race coming up in May.
"It's a fantastic opportunity," Daly said. "No one doubts the fact that Andretti has had so much success at the event, at the track. It's certainly my best shot at the race ever."
Team Owner Michael Andretti said it was good for the pieces to finally fall into place for Daly to drive under the Andretti flag. He said they had been trying for a while to get him an Andretti ride in the Indy 500.
"We highly rate him as a driver," Andretti said. "We think he'll fit in here perfectly with all the other teammate he's going to have. It's something unique to have five American drivers on one team and we think Conor will have a great shot for the win."
Daly drove in a partnership deal between Thom Burns Racing and Dale Coyne Racing in last year's race. He finished 21st after barely making into the field on Bump Day. Daly was the driver that bumped Schmidt-Peterson driver James Hinchcliffe from the race.
Daly has not driven on a full-time basis in IndyCar since his stint with Dale Coyne Racing in 2016.
(PHOTO: Robert Laberge/Getty Images)